7TH TOUR OF WORCESTER ride report 18/10/15

7th TOUR of WORCESTER

18/10/2015 mini report...

or have Sportives killed Sportives??

14ayatu.jpg

The 2015 Tour of Worcester roughly follows the route ridden by the Tour of Britain from  "some years ago"

It's held over 92 miles on hilly 'b' roads, and includes 19 categorised climbs.

All of which have a nice sign, giving it a name and a number, counting up 

from 1-19!!  inc Wyche cutting, Ankerdine, Stamford Bank, Boraston Bank, Neen Sollers, Clows tops, and the mad decent/ford/ascent of Heightington...

with over 2000m of ascent...

20f4xeb.jpg

The scheduled start was at at 8am, when I got there, there where a few people milling about, last minute stretching, etc...  So I sign on, and ask

" many people entered??"

"bout 100, plus 30 on the day..."

So, on I zip tie on my number, and wait for the start... 1zldg8i.jpg

A little voice comes over the karaoke PA..

"does anyone actually want to start??..."

There is a murmur of laughter, as we trickle to the start gate, to listen to the Health and safety preamble.

500ih2.jpg  

I set the Garmin to the route map, and wait for the start gun, the countdown , the red flag,      what we get is..

"off you go then.."

As the solar system is formed from small amounts of matter clumping together to form larger objects, so do sportive cyclists clump together to form greater structures, and although the Universe does not know why it does it, cyclists do. to hide!!!

Anyway, as soon as we hit Malvern, it all blows apart!! and a comet like nucleus forms, (leaving a long tail behind in it's wake..)

A group of about half a dozen or so blast to the first feed at Great Witley, there's no way I can hold this for another 55 hilly miles..

2j1n0vo.jpg                        4qklj9.jpg

the feed station at Great Witley.

Outside the feed, turn left to do the short route, turn right to do the long route, the Comet turns left!! theres only me and Mr.Red, see above, who seem to want to go the long way round, no wonder the Comet was so eager!!

Needless to say, it's hilly and hard going, and a tad lonely, Boraston, Milson being notable harsh. (Although I did see a herd of Llamas and an Emu)...

Making to the second feed station, the same one as the first, I ask

"many long routers??

"18, only Mr.Red is in front of you..."

on the home leg I pass loads of short routers, desperately clumping together, or stuck half way up a hill.

I push on.

2djcqog.jpg

As I cross the start/finish line, Mr.Red is rolling the other way, he nods..I nod back...

nnl8vn.jpg                                      2w20ga0.jpg

no medals, but the soup was good.          last 2015 sportive for the lucky red shoes.

You can ride a Sportive every weekend, from early Spring until late Autumn, is that a good thing??

are the big events squeezing the smaller events out??   does it matter???

Was this event poorly attended? yes it was, but did that stop me enjoying what I did? no it did'nt.

At the finish I high fived myself, gobbled down my bread and soup, and thought to myself, "would I do this event again??" 

if it survives the crowded sportive calendar, then, why not??

2mh6g4g.jpg

Garmin HR for Tour of Worcester, max 200 av 160 bpm

By far, the best quote from this awesome report is: 

As the solar system is formed from small amounts of matter clumping together to form larger objects, so do sportive cyclists clump together to form greater structures, and although the Universe does not know why it does it, cyclists do. to hide!!!

Also, love the title and the Reservoir Dogs reference! As always Speedy a fab report and a highly enjoyable read :)

Archived