Sunday B run 18th September

Dave and ruth

A motley group set off from Tardebigge which seemed to grow in size as we went on. Not sure what group I was in (B-minus, C-plus, Seniors A or B, Captain Sensibles, Old Farts United?) but, once we'd all disentangled ourselves from each other near Inkberrow, the following riders eventually arrived at Evesham-by-the-Sea, where bicycles were instructed to be stored underneath the tannoys, Scarecrows were inspected, Ladies Morris was in full bell, and conversation was of heavyweight boxers and happy, carefree days of yore. Leigh and Ken were  disappointed to find that bread pudding was not on the menu, whilst Tony narrowly missed being drowned by a flying jug of cold milk, closely followed by a rather more dangerous mug of very hot tea. I am assured by the management that normal service will be resumed by next week.

Present (even if largely dwelling in the past) were KenH, PeteC, Leigh Floret, TonyS all joined eventually by Christine and Ruth.

The Bs made our way via lanes (wherever possible) to the Cleobury Café, remarkably in Cleobury Mortimer. Present at the start and finish were Bev, Kev, Tim & me (Dave S). We were welcomed at the café by another Saracen member Terry ? who was also attacking the lower slopes of Clee hill. Bev wrote down his name in her phone (can I have a SIM card fitted to replace my lost memory?). A great ride, toast with too much jam, great chat and fabulous views in continuous sunshine (I must be dreaming). We weren't lost we were exploring!

Over the course of the weekend we had apols from Lee '50 Shades' De Grey (aka Phelps),Speedy Kev, Dave C and Mick H.

Owen (who's nursing what I suspect is a trapped nerve in his back) Alec and I decided this morning to make our way to Pershore for a steady ride. Along the way we caught sight of the back of the B group and we caught the C's, with whom we shared the road for a little while.

Kevin Young caught us too, and had a ride with V Sprint for a change!

We arrived at Coffee 1 to be treated to pecan and blackberry crumble (which was absolutely lush and well worth the extra 40p to have it warmed through and served with cream!!!), Welsh cakes, lovely tea and more.

A cold start but an otherwise beautiful day spent with very good company.

Not entirely sure it qualifies as a club run as our ride wasn't advertised in advance on our lovely forum - but I'll leave that to the discretion of the lovely, wonderful and utterly charming Sean :wink:

One final word - the Tommy Godwin sportive is on next Sunday. Owen and myself have already entered, as has Pardoe and I believe Mick McClure! Alec, Speedy Kev and Fae will also be potentially riding the event (TBC!!!).

Here is the link to the event here on the Saracen forum: http://www.saracenroadclub.com/index.php?/topic/17636-tommy-godwin-challenge-raising-funds-for-marie-curie/

And here is the link to sign up online: http://tommygodwinchallenge.weebly.com/

We had an absolute blast last year at this event. Funds raised go to a very good cause and the event was well marshalled/signposted with lovely cakes! Hope to see you there :-)

Archived