Todays ride. Frid 15th Feb.

Mick Hazlewood

Had a great ride out today with Michelle too Kenilworth cafe. What a glorious day 70mls without getting cold and wet, I could get accustomed to this sort of weather but I expect it will change.

I don't think Michelle stopped talking all the way there and back except on the hills but that could be due to her hanging a few metres of the back of my wheel and I couldn,t here her.

Only joking Michelle, a great ride after yesterday and thanks for the company.

The last couple of afternoon have been great havent they, just a pity that the morning have been so dam cold and so icy.  As I discovered this morning as I hit the deck in front of a Transit van... :o

Good job it was on a slight up hill bit, (by Gun Grange, Tardebigge) as he then swerved around me, but didn't bother to stop  while I picked myself from the middle of the road. :angry:

Be careful out there folks

In truth it all depends if there is a frost in the morning or not.  I rode part of the route this afternoon and there is still a huge amount of surface water decanting from the fields and in places its still halfway across the road.

So if we have a sharp frost like we had this morning, then probably not. 

In truth it all depends if there is a frost in the morning or not.  I rode part of the route this afternoon and there is still a huge amount of surface water decanting from the fields and in places its still halfway across the road.

So if we have a sharp frost like we had this morning, then probably not. 

Looks like the mercury will stay just above the negative numbers so we might just be OK

Hope to see you I the morning. 

I was very cautious myself this morning and stuck to the main roads for a while.The travel news had said the roads were very bad and that there had been a number of accidents locally.

Didn't see any grit on the roads either so that did not help.

Hope your not to sore Alan.

I was on the old main road between the Foxlydiate and the Tardebigge pub heading away from Redditch.  Certainly no signs that any grit had been put down.

The daft thing was that I saw a large patch of ice, and moved out into the middle of the road so as to avoid the camber.  But I was very aware that there was a Transit quite close behind me, so as soon as I had passed over what I thought was the worst of it, I started to move back to the nearside of the road.

I felt the rear wheel spin a couple of times, then wallop.......down I went.  When I managed to clip myself out of my cleats, I couldn't even stand up, it was that slippy.  So I had to walk a few yards up the grass verge till I could remount and carry onto Bromsgrove.

But descending down past Tardebigge church and all the way into Aston Fields afterwards was somewhat nerve racking to say the least!!!   And the drop from Buntsford Hill down to Stoke Pound was nothing short of terrifying I have to admit.... :unsure:

The usual cuts to elbow and knee plus a rather nice bruise under development on my hip. :angry:

Mate- Bad luck.  At least you got up and pedaled away.  Could have been a lot worse.  The trouble with that area is it's that few hundred feet higher and that makes all the difference to the temperature.  Hope you not sore tomorrow.  Have a good ride.

Archived