Riding while in lockdown

Hannah

I regret to say that unfortunately someone wearing a Saracen jersey has caught the eye of a local today because they were riding in a group of three during the current lockdown.

This in turn has generated a number of negative comments on Facebook.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to only ride solo or with members of your household. Riding with neighbours, friends and club mates is not in keeping with the governments guidelines. 

Riding as a group, even if you think you are observing the 2m distance, is unfortunately only going to look bad.

Both Conservatives and Labour leaders support a complete ban on outdoor exercise if the current movement restrictions are not adhered to.

Here is the original post from Spotted Bromsgrove on Facebook:

“Hi , I'm  a cyclist  and swimmer and have been for many years, I'm  rather  dismayed to see Bromsgrove  people flaunting  the new rules on exercise,  it's not clever cycling  3 abreast  down coalash lane and wearing a saracens  cc shirt one of you. Especially  when people are walking, also seen to other groups of 3 , trust me they were not family members I been cycling  long enough to recognize this . PLEASE  go out on your own or with a family member not meet up with your mates on copyholt lane, Please  ride in single file when you see people walking STOP being so arrogant  knob heads.”

Well, I can’t for the life of me think who this could be, in better times, we would do well to have 3 or more out on a Sunday club run.  I do agree we should be riding solo, and whoever this is should be ashamed.  I was out today in a Saracen top, on my own, nowhere near Coalash Lane.  I did see Bev and Kev, and stopped for a chat, standing well apart.  I’ll just finish by saying that Sam has been in hospital with a chest infection, and I have also heard that Jonny Mullan has the virus.  So take it seriously.  ☹️🚲

Thank you Hannah, and well said John. I know we don't know the details, but ignoring specific advice, especially on the weekend after two NHS staff have died, is inexcusable. Wearing club kit compounds the offence as it also brings the club into disrepute. 

FWIW, we have relations and friends on the front line and know the stress they are under (I'm sure we're not the only ones reading this in similar position). 

I'd heard about Sam but didn't know about John Mullen - hope they recover well. 

Stay safe, stay well, and if in doubt STAY AT HOME. 

Note! it was stated on the 22nd March in Virus News that we would no longer ride

in groups only solo due to Social Distancing.

it has come as a great disappointment to hear that one of our members has been flaunting the rules.

It only needs one to spoil it for the majority.

I think as a club we may need to take some form of  disciplinary action with any member found

disobeying the rules.

I also feel that the age group of our riders should have enough courtesy by now to warn and pass 

pedestrians with some respect.

We are lucky to be able still to ride at the moment.

Behaviour like this soon escalates and brings the club into disrepute.

It could also end cycling for the near future.

Please notify me if you see any members breaking the rules.

Keep solo 

Keep safe

Chris P

Chairman  

At the request of our Chairman Chris Pardoe I have today added a 'floating banner' to this website.

The floating banner appears on all pages across the Saracen forum, and the floating aspect refers to the fact that the banner moves down the pages as you scroll.

I am out regularly 3 times a week on a 25 mile circuit, training to hold Ivor's wheel when this is all over!!.     However a word of Warning.     

Today I was overtaken by two, what I call "wanna impress riders" close wheel and very close to me, who on passing shouted OK mate and continued on. Later I was overtaken by a very professional looking rider., he was the full width of the road away from me, he looked across and waved his left hand, I acknowledged by lifting my right hand, he was moving fast.

I am reluctant to use a mask or mouth cover whilst on the bike, but if I experience again  what the two riders did I will seriously consider it.

Some will say ride faster, don't get overtaken. They were however at least 30/40 years younger. I was wearing my Saracen top. I also move to the centre of the road and more if I see walkers.