Shimano Ultegra hollowtech catastrophic failure

Sean Barker

Now that is rather interesting to say the very least!  I wonder what has caused it to fatigue like that?  Personally I would be inclined to return it back to Shimano (or at least the UK importer HERE ) for analysis and report, irrespective of the age to be honest

Clearly a Hollowtech  chainset I wouldn't mention to the manufacturer that it has probably done the equivalent of half way round the world. It's a stress fracture. I noticed when you last punctured the crank will be the next to go!!!  worn away!!

Actually interesting Barry. I was trying to work out how far it has done, It is my titanium bike by the way, which I don't use in the bad weather and probably only accounts for a quarter of my miles. So in the three years I've had the bike it has probably only done around twelve thousand miles.

Send it back.

It might be part of a bad batch.

Exactly my point Ivor and stress factor or not, lets be honest, its not under that much load in the greater scheme of things really.  Well okay, maybe in Seans case it might be, but that's more weight than torque....... :wink:

:lol2 @ Alan

I've tried to phone them today but just hit the answer phone asking me to leave a name and number and they's get back to me, which I've done, That was this morning but no return call.

I can't email them as their email link is broken, so not sure the email is still active.

It appears their website contact is as well constructed s their bloody chainsets!

Got this reply

Hi Sean,

Sorry to hear of your accident, if the chainset is within two years old and you have the proof of purchase for the part or bike it is off I can send it to the UK Shimano distributor for inspection. We would also require the bottom bracket bearings to be sent to us.

Many thanks,

Ash

:lol2 @ Alan

I've tried to phone them today but just hit the answer phone asking me to leave a name and number and they's get back to me, which I've done, That was this morning but no return call.

I can't email them as their email link is broken, so not sure the email is still active.

It appears their website contact is as well constructed s their bloody chainsets!

Message them on Facebook! No answer? Post a question on their wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as far as Shimano are concerned it was beyond it's two year warranty so they don't want to know.

Maybe Tony was onto something here

Never trust a company that started life making fishing rod reels, it probably wouldn't have happened to a Campag axle. Mind you, nothing's made to last these days.

From what I could see there may have been a bad batch dating from about three years ago. I'd certainly have another go at them and quote any examples you can find concerning breakages dating from purchases around that time. There must have been a manufacturing defect. Also post on the CTC forum to see if there's any response there.

Archived