Touring Bikes- Educate me please.

Mrs DAVIES

To ride a leJOG, I would say any bike that has the fitments to take a rear rack would be fine as you will want to travel as light as possible with staying at B&B’s and/or Youth Hostels.

I would also look towards a 700cc wheel size (as that is what you are used to) and perhaps a triple front mech, certainly some higher gearing as you will encounter some steep hills both in Scotland and in Cornwall.

I wouldn’t look for anything too heavy as you will be traveling light and be looking to get good use out of it after the tour.

Two other things that I would like to know before I start recommending bikes would be a) do you intend to use it off road? And b) what is your budget?

There are plenty of bikes that would suit your needs but if I were you I'd have a good look at the following link The perfect bike for Kay

There are a number of upgrades and various options but after your tour you would be left with an excellent all rounder that should give you a life time of use

I’ll take these one by one

1. Disc brakes? = I have and love the disc brakes on my Croix De Fer and on my mountain bike but I wouldn’t want them on a touring bike. The main reason would be that if the rotor was to get bent (something that could easily happen in transit) it would be a lot more difficult to get it fixed than it would be to sort out rim brakes and if it was warped enough your wheel won’t even turn, not what you would need in the middle of nowhere.

2. Rolhoff hubs? = I have never used a Rolhoff but other touring cyclists I have met out on the continent were Rolhoff equipped and on close inspection it was abundantly obvious that they were vastly superior as far as a touring setup goes. If I was buying a touring bike and my budget would stretch to it that’s the way I would go.

3. Handbuilt wheels? = This is very much personal preference but for me the only way to go. For conventional rim brakes I would go for Hope hubs (36 spokes) with Mavic open pro rims. However if you are really going to go for a Rolhoff rear hub then I would go for a Son dynamo front hub, this really is a beauty and will give you all the recharging energy you will need to keep your various gadgets charged up, that would include lights, phone, gps and even a gopro camera if you decide to really push the boat out.

4. Titanium Vs Steel = I love my titanium bike but for touring I would always favour steel, in fact I would be loath to use any other material. Should you have any problems with the frame you can always find somewhere where a steel frame can be wielded and even if you are not in the Arctic or the vast mountain wilderness of Rumania you would still want as speedy a repair as possible so you can be quickly on your way again and this would only be possible with a steel frame.

I hope these answers help. Any more just fire away.

Personally I wouldn't class Mavic Open Pro rims as a good choice of rim for touring, IMHO they are more of a racing/fast training rims. 

For the lightweight touring Kay intends to do they would be fine, in fact that's what I used when I rode the double Le Jog. Fully loaded touring however would be another thing entirely. 

Just to add a little more information to consider when choosing a rim for a hand built wheel.

Kay I know a big consideration in choosing this bike is the use you will get out of it after your tour (all round use)

The Mavic open pro will allow tyre widths up to 28mm, whereas the stronger rims (more suited to fully loaded touring) like the Mavic A319 or A719 will need a tyre of 28mm or greater, actually anything up to 47mm

That's going to be a heavier wheel and tyre, certainly not something you are going to ride on a club run, not to mention will take more effort to ride on whatever you do.

It all comes down to what you intend to use them for after your tour, anything more heavily laden then probably the A319 or A719 but if not the open pro's would be the way to go, as I mentioned that's the way I went and would go again.

But if you do decide to go for the Rolhoff and Son hubs then you will have to go for the more heavy duty rims

Archived