The Punic Wars

Sean Barker

Yesterday I enjoyed my first foray into the exciting and rewarding world of classic battle reenactment. My introduction into this fascinating pastime was the reenactment of the three Punic wars. I took the part of the fledgling Roman empire, while a nest of wasps who had taken up residence under a lavender plant housed in a large metal planter in the courtyard played the part of the established and all powerful carthaginian empire. It was during a particularly chaotic period of the Third Punic war that one of the carthaginian foot soldiers blindsided me and from the ranks dilivered a painful sting. I fought on bravely and wheras the Romans finally ended the Carthaginian empire by ploughing salt into their lands to render them unusable, I did similarly by ploughing Nippon wasp killer into the fertile soil within the planter. As in the conclusion of the Third Punic War total victory was achieved.

I now find myself in A&E with a severally swollen arm (I do react badly to wasp stings) wondering what the Hell do I tell them when they ask how it happened