Experimenting with new tyres

Sean Barker

I do tend to favour Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres, I like the puncture resistance and the reassuring grip they afford me but on the downside they are prone to getting tiny splits that allow debris to get in and all too often result in punctures.

I have just bought some Continental 4 seasons that feel nice but their durability has still to be ascertained.

Chatting yesterday to Alan he made mention of some tyres that should be on my “To consider list” when next I make a purchase, but for the life of me I can’t remember what he recommended, (Michelin I think). Perhaps you could remind me again Alan and any other recommendation from anyone would always be welcome.   

New project = To find my perfect tyre

They were Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyres Sean, I've had a pair on the Rourkie bike for two years now and have nothing but praise for them.  Not only are they are very long lasting, they offer good grip in the wet as well. They also don't seem to be as prone to splits and cuts as other tyres that I use, or maybe I have just been lucky so far?

REVIEW

• 3 weeks later...

No problem Sean, and if you want to take the comfort level to the next step, fit Latex tubes.  Michelin are the ones that I would suggest, but they only make a 23mm Latex version, but plenty of people run them in 25mm tyres with no adverse effects.  The only down side, (other than the cost that is!) is the fact that they will drop pressure far quicker than normal butyl tubes.  That said you only need around 90 to 95 psi to start with and in 24 hours they will have only lost at best around 10psi.  In 23mm tyres the air lose is greater as you are starting with a much higher pressure, probably around 115psi.  So I would expect to drop at least 20psi if not a little more over the same period of time

I have Latex tubes in three sets of my wheels and I really rate them, but I certainly wouldn't recommend them for every day use because of the daily requirement to keep them inflated at the optimum pressure.

Alan are you sure latex improves comfort?

I’ve always heard that they deaden the feeling….or am I thinking of something else?

100% yes they not only improve the comfort but offer better puncture protection as well.  Tubular tyres have Latex tubes sewn into them and every knows how good tubs are over clinchers.  Well once upon a time they were at least, but hey.....thats another possible topic.

HERE

HERE II

I dont know what other sites involving Latex you may have visited that leads you to think that it deadens the feeling or in what!!  :ohmy:

Archived