Jim George 1939-2018

ChrisP

It is with deep sadness  that we have to report  the death of Jim the end of last week.

DSCN0163.JPG.67f93e3ed3fe8c91847b7085eaa2e3ad.JPG

He has been a close, loyal and  reliable friend since the 1960's.

We trained and raced together. 

Made bicycle frames in my garage as he was good at soldering the lugs John Shelley still rides one.

He was always at the other end of the phone and willing to come out and pick me up in the car when the odd falling

of out training put the bike out of action.

He was only to willing to come round and keep Hilary company in her darkest times with a chat and game of cards while I was at work.

In the 50's before i knew him he was one of the best sprinters in the midlands winning many races

and going on to ride as a semi pro. before he was called up for the army.

Note! Ken Haddon taking third spot Jim on the front left.

JIM-PAIN-DJONES.thumb.jpg.24e2a504ffca795454c96ed0de722812.jpg

Riding the Manx International on the Isle of Man along side 5 times Tour of France winner Jacqies Anqatile.jim-anqatile.thumb.jpg.1164fe177fe5f69567d2706a52fd6869.jpg

He always denied leading us to the evils of drink but I think this proves the contrary.

JIM10.thumb.jpg.12fc0721a22274c99e05a45ef87b64ee.jpg

He will be deeply missed by us both.

Happy memories.

Chris and Hilary.

Very sad news. I first met Jim when I was at university, then our paths crossed many times over the years before I finally joined the Saracen. Ever present at Halesowen track (and Salford Park before that) plus also officiating at road races. He mentored my son Richard for a time. Always ready with one of his dry quips or fast 'put me downs' but never stinting on advice, and a real heart of gold. 

Sad news indeed that I’ve only just learned of at the end of what had been a glorious day(Jack’s 23rd Birthday) & wall to wall sunshine from late morning!

MY BEST MAN ? OF 39yrs AGO AND ONE WOULD STRUGGLE TO FIND A BETTER ONE IN LIFE TO TO THIS VERY DAY!

HE HAD THE COURAGE AND CHARACTERISTICS OF A LION WHICH COUPLED WITH A HEART OF GOLD MADE HIM A VERY SPECIAL FRIEND WHO COULD ALWAYS BE RELIED UPON TO BE JUST JIM, BE TOTALLY STRAIGHT WITH YOU NO MATTER HOW PAINFUL HIS WORDS OF WISDOM AND TRUTH WERE TO HEAR!

YES HE’D TELL YOU WHAT A PRAT YOU’D BEEN BUT WOULD ALWAYS BE THERE TO HELP PICK UP THE PIECES AND BE THERE TO DO WHATEVER IN TIMES OF NEED!

A THOROUGHLY GREAT GUY WHO’S PASSING LEAVES ALL SO MUCH THE POORER.??????

Ann and I are devastated at the news, and agree with everything that has been said about Jim. We were out with him only two weeks ago and he seemed to be feeling  and looking better than  he had for  a while.

Such a good friend, and a long standing member of the club.

R.i.p. Jim.

• 4 weeks later...

I have only just found out about this very sad news.
I am deeply saddened but grateful that I knew and shared time with this irrepressible man, he was someone who over the last seven years or so I came to admire and respect greatly.

I can't begin to count the times he regaled me and others with his highly entertaining tales of Saracen history and the hilarious antics of some of its more eccentric members.
He truly was a gifted raconteur.
I shall miss Jim, he was a special man.

I'd like to think that if there is a heaven then Jim arrived on his bicycle and then outsprinted the pack as he passed through the pearly gates. 

Deeply saddened to hear the news of Jim George my mom told me today (Sunday) a wonderful man gave me my first job (in the jewellery trade ) there was a young bunch of juniors late 70,s and he always had time for us called us pillocks ,told us to ride at the front of club runs sprint for 30 signs, ride a fast fifty the rest come natural.get the miles in the winter etc,remeber falling off a brand new Pargeor bike he took me home ,and spent time with my parents ,a true gent not forgetting the lovely dog that he used to bring up on club nights 

RIP Jim   and thank you for the help advice 

Steve shepherd 

Archived