Almost a year after retiring from teaching Kevin completed his first challenge - the Marmot event in the Alps.

To gain a " gold" time for his age group he needed to complete the course in under 9 hours. 

After a spring and summers preparation, including doing the Beacon " little mountain" time trial and a week riding the cols that comprised the course, the day arrived. The weather was kind in that it was fairly cool. He was disappointed to be in the later start group at 7.50 from Bourg d'Oisans but he soon passed me standing waiting on the zig zags out of Allemont. He got to the top of the col de Glandon after an hour and 45 minutes riding, ahead of schedule.  The descent down the Glandon was neutralised as it is a fairly dangerous descent. On the ride up to St Michel de Maurienne he got into a group and tucked behind the biggest Dutchman ever.  The ascent of the Telegraph went well, though he suffered a little on the ascent of the Galibier, struggling to chew on some " new" energy bars. Following the descent down the Galibier he was able to get some extra supplies from a friend on the col de Lauteret. This was followed by a fast and exhilarating descent of 40 kilometres down to Bourg.  He got caught in a very heavy shower near the end of that and it was pouring when he got to me at the bottom of Alpe d' Huez, where he had a drink of Coke in readiness to climb the Alpe. The rain cooled him down and probably refreshed him. ( last year it was reported to be 40 degrees at that point). He finished the ride in 7 hours 24.

He was 6 th Brit in his category and we think he finished around 780 overall, out of a field of 7500! 

I wonder what next years challenge will be! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived