A and B Runs 30th August

Sean Barker

I suggest the cafe' @ the Halfpenny Green / Bobbington aerodrome for the 'B' run.

In the event of the inclement weather which we have come to expect for Sunday's this year we could adjourn to a more local venue vis-a'-vis Stourport, Kinver or De-Beers.

If there are any intended members who wish to meet / start from Lai Ling,  Rednal for 09.15 could you please post to this effect as I will rendezvous with the run @ the Tardebigge for 09.35/09.40hrs.

Hi Chris,

I hope you don't mind but you'll have the pleasure of my company again tomorrow, and possibly Owen's too as I'm riding fixed again.

Owen and I will start from the Lai Ling at Rednal departing at 9:15am and we'll meet you Chris at the Tardebigge. 

I'm not sure if you've seen Kevin Young's/Chris Pardoe's suggestion of Lavender Hall Fisheries? Either way I'm up for riding anywhere you lead us Chris! :)

I'm not aware of any 'C' run as yet but there's still time for a post respecting that & I suspect that the 'A's were somewhat short handed as no less than 5 of their regular protagonists were on the "RUN OF CHOICE" today!

The threat of serious rain again did not appear to have deterred any would be combatants from the Tardebigge departure as we pedalled off towards the Forest via Finstall, tutnall lane & Burcot.

Regular 'B's Peter, Tim, Chris T., were joined by Ruth (Legend) Sexton, Hannah, Owen, Alec, Kevin S., Dave C., new Guest Dave Barrett from Cofton and myself as the "Guide" hence another lumpy magical mystery tour followed!!!

Well if I tell you that I'd done circa 41.5miles by the time I reached Kinver and late again!

A steady but respectable pace was achieved from Catshill through Bournheath, Chaddesley Corbett, Axborough, Cookley & Wolverley from where we progressed onto the Bridgenorth road! (More to follow after I make the Tea; one must prioritize you know!!!)

Now where was I or should I say we?

Ah! Shatterford that's it & I think we should have turned right across to Kinver before there!

But never mind onwards we battled up hill after hill or so it seemed eventually getting into the lanes again & back on course towards Enville & our planned destination.

Young David & I had hung back for new Dave, who was struggling whenever the road went up but had not been on his bike for months being an offshore contract-diver.

The bad news was that there was a £6 entry fee @ the airfield due to some sort of show being on, the joys of the English bank-holiday weekend!!

So an about-turn we did for Kinver which 9 of our 11 managed without too much difficulty whilst yours truly & Dave found ourselves @ the traffic-lights in Stourton, so intent was I ensuring that Dave was still behind me & on course that I'd completely missed the right turn across the common!

Another about-turn & back up the blinkin hill I'd just come down!

I waited some 8 minutes for Dave further on @ the left turn to Kinver before continuing without him in the belief that he'd headed home through Stourbridge.

You might guess how I felt as I progressed along the High St with not a bike in sight!

As I retraced to double check for me erstwhile companions the sight of Tim beckoning me into an unknown arcade area where the "Close To The Edge" Kinfayre Cafe was located.

Good reasonably priced grub but with a long wait for it was the outcome there where a most pleasant & lengthy stop was enjoyed with much laughter, lamp-swinging & reminiscing by the youngsters who I had joined in the outside marquee area.

MORE TO FOLLOW; I'VE ONLY GOT 3% BATTERY LEFT!!!

The rain had started to fall again & the 3 regular 'B's having been fed & watered first bid us a fond farewell.

We departed in great spirits up that blinkin Church Hill which Ruth gluided up as if it were nought & on her "old winter cramper" as well!

Retracing through Cookley I then guided them through the old Lea Castle Drive mental institution site, now occupied by some travellers & their horses, which I had not traversed in some 5 years!

Back through Hurcott & across to Stone & Shenstone we progressed on damp but not soaked roads where Ruth recognising the location struck-out alone for home.

The youngsters Kevin & I chose the main road from Chaddesley Corbett towards home & Bromsgrove with Kevin turning right into Berry Lane for home. 

GREAT DAY, GREAT COMPANY, NO MOANS OR NEGATIVITY & MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!

Come and join us for a "taster" "A"s  "C"s or any readers for that matter!

Looks like Chris K and Co. had an interesting tour of the Kinver area.

Think the club might need to invest in a map and compass. Might also dig out a trophy for the longest report!

Decided to take a gentle ride over to Lavender Hall fisheries and ease the 

body back into shape.

Was hoping may be join a small group there to have a coffee with.

Not a bike insight.

Looks like if anyone started from the Forest either got lost or changed the destination.

97o1aw.jpg

Posted 9 Nov 2014 · Report post

'May I recommend the Ordnance Survey map, 1:50,000 scale, Sheets 150 and 151.  I used them to find our way to Charlecote today. We were able to plan our route via roads, as they are clearly defined using a colour coding system i.e, yellow for roads generally more than 4m wide and red dotted lines for bridleways. These maps are obtainable free on loan from your local library. They are environmentally friendly, do not give off any harmful emissions and can be used as an insulator against the cold. They do not require an energy source and are not a cause of annoyance to others in a confined area such as a cafe.'  

Posted  4th November 2013

Today's accounts of the club run are similar to what I imagine a Wildebeest might write of their annual migration if it had the ability.

For the purposes of the points table I make today's riders 

Chris Kent

Pete Cooper

Tim Brueton

Chris Thompson

Ruth Sexton

Hannah Smith

Owen Hazlewood

Alec Wright

Kevin Sergant

Dave Cunningham

Dave Barrett (guest

Chris Pardoe

Have I missed anyone?

The A run of Dave Sexton, John & Tim (sorry I don't know the surnames) left the Forest at 9:30, but as we didn't know the route to Lavender Fisheries we made our way to Coffee One in Pershore.  After a very pleasant natter we made our way home before we got wet. Points please Sean.  Dave Sexton

A fantastic B run... although I must admit I did chose that run as I was looking for something fairly easy. I had no idea that we were about to embark on one of Kenty's 'magical, mystery and lumpy' tours!

I can only think that Kenty had a taste for challenging routes following the Saracen audax! Still, Chris K, a great companion also made for a fantastic guide, leading us down lanes that were both fun and technical to ride. The climb immediately out of the cafe was unexpected, but I managed to climb it fixed even on cafe legs.

The ride down the dilipidated mental institute was eerie and eye opening. Given that travellers had made it their home it certainly had an air of 'The Hill Have Eyes' about it!

I'm sorry no one was at Lavender Fisheries to meet you Chris P, but I hope the ride has helped towards your recovery. 

Once again chaps, a great day and ruddy good company. :)

Archived