The Eastern Block!

Hello all

I am currently working in Poland, thought I would try and counteract all the Poles in England!

Cycling here is very popular, even to the extent that all the main road footpaths have marked cycle lanes on them.

There are bike shops on every corner in the City I'm in, and it even has dedicated bike repair shops as well. Equipment looks pretty good, although not many western frame mark trade names are on show.

Daft as it sounds I haven't got around to buying a bike over here yet, but I see there are some fantastic places to ride, little country lanes going off into the distance, not to mention interesting looking tracks disappearing into the forests.

Not seen any sign of bike racing as yet though, and all the bike shops sell utility models only.

I have seen one rider in proper race kit and clipless pedals, so when I get a bike sorted i'll have to see if he can speak any English!

Anyway I hope everyone is well, and it's not until you don't have a bike to ride you realise why we love cycling.

Phil

Hi Phil,

interesting to hear from you.

Must be quiet over there as most are over here.

Rather a long way to go to work in the mornings though.

Keep us up to date when you get on to two wheel should make for interesting reading.

all the best,

Chris Pardoe

• 4 months later...

Hello .. an update from Poland!

Finally got around to buying a bike, unfortunately it's a mountain bike but at least it has two wheels and some pedals :) .. Then again when you see the state of the roads I don't think a road bike would last too long anyway.

Just back from a ride today, 15 minutes from where I live I am on forest tracks and can ride for 2 hours in a straight line and not come out of the trees!, and not see another soul either! I was riding in July and August in +39 degrees, which was absolutely great so the tan is good :) . Apparently it's not unusual to see -25 degrees in the winter, but on the plus side at least my bike won't get muddy!

Anyway I hope everyone is keeping well, and try and send some Poles back because yes, it's almost like a ghost town here.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hello all

On my now regular rides through the local Polish forests I sometimes pass little groups of old wooden watch towers along the sides of some wider tracks. They certainly looked like the old style watch towers you see in the war film prison camps!

On my last ride I noticed some chap in camouflage clothes climbing up the ladder to one of these towers, and slung across his back was a rifle complete with telescopic sight. As I progressed I saw every tower was similarly occupied, I later discovered it was the hunting season and they were waiting for the forest dear to come into sight!

So there I was, middle of nowhere, riding through the local shooting club, no warning signs, no red flags, only me, the wildlife, and trigger happy Poles firing over my head (I hoped!)

Needless to say my forest rides have stopped for a bit, and riding in general isn't too much fun now it's down to -15 or -20 degrees.

Next update from here will be when spring has sprung and it's back to +40 :)

Archived