A & B Runs Sunday 22nd March

Sean Barker

Hi All

Speedy Kev is leading the 'A' ride from the Harvester to The kettle sings in Malvern.

The outward bound route will be roughly, Harvester, Timberhonger, Droitwich, Tibberton, Upton, West Malvern road, Kettle sings. approx 42m.

the return leg will be through Welland, Worcester and Droitwich.

There will be a fair amount of main road riding, and a bit of a hill half way round.

Harvester to Harvester is about 70m

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9066989

Hi All

Speedy Kev is leading the 'A' ride from the Harvester to The kettle sings in Malvern.

The outward bound route will be roughly, Harvester, Timberhonger, Droitwich, Tibberton, Upton, West Malvern road, Kettle sings. approx 42m.

the return leg will be through Welland, Worcester and Droitwich.

There will be a fair amount of main road riding, and a bit of a hill half way round.

Harvester to Harvester is about 70m

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9066989

A bit of a cock up this morning as far as the B run went and it was entirely my fault.

Circumstances beyond my control meant I couldn’t make it but fortunately Chris Kent was ably to relay the message to the group and they set off for The Tuckery in Warwick where sometime later myself and Chris Kent gave chase and caught them just before they left the café.

Bit of an unorthodox ride but the beautiful spring sunshine made up for it.

Today’s B group riders were

Chris Thompson

Tim Brueton

John Shelly

Pete Cooper

Sean Barker

Chris Kent 

'A' ride report 22/3/15

Destination 'The Kettle sings' Malvern

Present             M.Hickman                    steel

L.D.Grey                      aluminium

M. Hazlewood              carbon

O.T.Hazlewood            steel

H.L.Smith                     carbon

K.R.Sargent                 aluminium,   Captain on the road.

The Quintet of Saracens(and Martin) headed out from the Harvester, through Timberhonger, Droitwich, Drakes Broughton and Upton upon Severn, the pace was brisk but steady. Hazlewood senior was the only person who seemed in a hurry to reach the Malverns.

I ordered a neutral zone up past the 3 counties and through Malvern, allowing Hannah and LDG to swoop past us at the base of the 2 mile ascent of the  'col d'west Malvern road'.

Halzewood senior led the way, carbon wheels clattering under the strain, winding up the road, KRS and OTH sat in, biding their time, I had the advantage of knowing the climb well, I moved up, seated, spinning, don't know what's happening behind me, micro descent, big ring, go go go, levered the bike over the final short, sharp peak, onto the false flat and hooned it to the Wyche cutting. Hazlewood junior taking the final sprint to the T junction.

We regrouped and rolled to the Kettle sings

2cf5z6c.jpg

M.Hazlewood    M.Hickman       O. Halzewood               H.Smith          P.Gilbert   

No teacakes where available!! but the sun did come out!!

2wnoayq.jpg

We had a steady ride back, dropping down The Camp and Malvern Priory, through Welland to Worcester, LDG peeled off, job done, Hannah rode back at her own pace, Owen sensing fatigue,(in others!!) leans on the pedals, I do a U-turn in Droitwich and head home passing Hannah coming the other way. not that far behind.

Garmin says...

80m,     1115m ascent,           max speed, 40mph (going down Malvern Priory),              max HR 198 (going up the Malverns)  

Kevin that is an exceptionally well written report!!! Love it!

Owen and I both want to thank you for planning and guiding us on a great route. You held a very well organised ride and demonstrated fab leadership skills and comradery. Owen also wants to thank you for setting a good pace, especially when.... gravity ... increased  :wink:

You definitely earn the title of 'domestique of the month' and we will reward your awesomeness with cake at work! 

I personally thoroughly enjoyed the ride, and although the cafe staff were clearly a tad flustered, this did not in anyway take from what was a perfect day of riding. 

Big thank you from myself to Owen for helping me to get my head together when I came close to cracking en route to Malvern... the fear of those big hills imminently approaching almost made me weak at the knees and ready to turn around! But with the support of the group I managed to get myself (and my fears) under control and was soon ready for the climbs... which were an awesome and highly enjoyable!

I was relieved, overjoyed and very proud when 50 Shades Gilbert told me we had reached the top and we were almost at the cafe! 

A great day of riding with the very best of company. Thank you Kev and thank you chaps!!!  :biggrin:  :wub:

Great report there Speedy and a cracking job done as stand in Captain on the road and

lead out man/super domestique for boy wonder.

Massive well done to H for digging in deep today to face the mighty Malverns and hang

on in there on the way back.

Captain Slow needs to get rid of his Garmin and read a map. Hope you found your way

home.

And LDG ( Mr Cool ) what can I say, Roll on Monday week - Proper Hills !.

Great day out Guys !!.

Captain slow has a map on the Garmin, that's how I found you guys. But someone has to be last and I'm OK with that. Yes a well designed route and a good climb to the cafe. But what goes up must come down. And what a decent 47.1mph it seems cracking the 50 still eludes me. As for a for a Sunday ride I have to start upping the mileage over 86. But wasn't it nice to have the weather on our side.

Archived