Tyre Widths

AlanW

Okay.....I'm bored now, so where better to go than into my garage to stare at my bikes and think about the good times. Anyway, looking at the 25mm Pro Race 4 Endurance tyres fitted to my Rourkie, they are huge, width and height so I decided to measure them with my vernier. Then after being shocked at the results I measured some of the other tyres fitted to bikes as well.

There clearly is no industry standard when it comes to the width of the tyre? These are the average width results taken from four measurements and with the recommended air pressure in the tyres:-

25mm Pro Race 4 Endurance - 27.20mm

23mm Pro Race 4 Endurance - 24.56mm

25mm Schwalbe Durano Plus - 24.51mm

25mm Vittoria Open Pave - 25.53mm

So no wonder the bloody 25mm Pro Race wont fit on my Ridley frame with standard drop brake calipers!

Interesting. I've always thought that there is a big difference between one make of 25mm tyres and another.

Certainly my Durano plus tyres are much wider than my conti four seasons

Which begs the question are the measurements nothing more than a rough guide?

Alan, you must have inflated the Michelin too high, they've ballooned!

Seriously, I've never measured different tyre makes although I have noticed some seem bigger than marked. I once bought the same model Panaracer tyres in different years and the second was much wider than the first. Generally I find that Michelin, Hutchison and Conti are consistent between makes and across years, so that's why I use various 23mm versions of those throughout the seasons.

Alan, you must have inflated the Michelin too high, they've ballooned!

No they were all inflated at the midpoint between what they state is the minimum and the maximum recommended working pressures.  However, in the case of the 25mm Pro Race Endurance tyres, these were inflated at the pressure that I usually ride them at, namely 85psi

Archived