Steady Run Tues. 23rd. Sept.

rovi

Well it turned out to be quite the eventful club run. A couple of miles shy of the café as we descended a hill we happened upon a poorly filled in pipe that had been recently laid across the road. The concaved nature of the filling was such that it threw Pete Cooper’s wheel slightly to his left, making contact with Colin Amor bringing them both to an almighty halt. Both were shaken and sporting an assortment of cuts, bruises and some nasty road rash as well as badly shredded clothing.

I certainly hope both of them are no worse than first appeared to be the case.

Also I have now heard tell that Pete and Colin were not the first cyclists to fall foul of that particular hazard, there have been a number of crashes over the past weeks.

Clearly something that needs addressing.

Bad news! Thankfully no breaks. Sounds like this needs reporting after some photos of the scene. Surely someone is liable for the state of the road?  The lads should also visit their doctors and get the injuries seen for future reference.

Well it turned out to be quite the eventful club run. A couple of miles shy of the café as we descended a hill we happened upon a poorly filled in pipe that had been recently laid across the road. The concaved nature of the filling was such that it threw Pete Cooper’s wheel slightly to his left, making contact with Colin Bradley bringing them both to an almighty halt. Both were shaken and sporting an assortment of cuts, bruises and some nasty road rash as well as badly shredded clothing.

I certainly hope both of them are no worse than first appeared to be the case.

Also I have now heard tell that Pete and Colin were not the first cyclists to fall foul of that particular hazard, there have been a number of crashes over the past weeks.

Clearly something that needs addressing.

Colin Amor Sean not Colin Bradley.

Pete, and his beautiful stealth bike, were collected by his wife.

Colin and I went back and photographed the scene. Took names and addresses of witnesses.

Walked, then rode slowly home with Colin.

Both guys helmets were broken in to several pieces.

Faces bleeding and various hematomas developing.

Clothing shredded.

Photographs, names and addresses of witnesses and Garmin File mailed to Dave Cox and Sean.

I was really hungry when I got home! (no eggs at the cafe).

Incidentally rode home with Mike Harborne Old Saracen rider. Sends best wishes, especially to Mick Hazelwood.

Spoken with Colin and Pete.

Kay you are the STAR!

Photos. coffees witnesses..etc.

Both said thanks a million.

Both went to hospital

Colin -sent home after examination.

Pete xrayed top to toe,examined,

kept in for a few hours-bad haematoma,

sent home.

Both say thanks to everyone for their help.

Spoken with Colin and Pete.

Kay you are the STAR!

Photos. coffees witnesses..etc.

Both said thanks a million.

Both went to hospital

Colin -sent home after examination.

Pete xrayed top to toe,examined,

kept in for a few hours-bad haematoma,

sent home.

Both say thanks to everyone for their help.

I am so relieved! I was very worried looking at their injuries! Not to mention that beautiful bike!

Well done Kay.  Glad they are both home safe and I hope Pete heals up quickly. He seemed to come off worse.

I reported it to Fill that Hole using an App on my phone at the scene. That gave them a pin point and one picture. For some reason the app or the way I used it didn't enable them to get my email to report back. But it would be good for others to report it from a computer using Kay's additional photos and witness statements.

May be worth either Colin or Pete if they are members taking it up with the CTC Helpline to seek compensation from the Council. It's not as easy as with insured drivers and local authorities seem to wriggle out of responsibility.  Other holes on that stretch were marked up with white paint awaiting scheduled repair but the poorly filled trench was not marked and according to residents had been causing problems for some time.

Well done Kay!

Our thanks should also go to the young lady who came out from the cottage nearby provided antiseptic spray etc. & towel .

Also the other lady from the village who came passed most concerned

Nice to know there are still good samaritans out there .

To our very own good samaritan KAY well done!

Many thanks to Kay for all she did yesterday very much appreciated. and also to every one else for their assistance . Thanks also for your all best wishes.

Colin I hope your feeling OK this morning and you havn't seized up to much.

As Ivor already has already said I spent all yesterday afternoon at the Q.E. When I checked in they asked where I was injured and I had got that many places they put it down as multiple injuries. I've got bad road rash in numerous places and have knocked my left shoulder up a bit. They were a bit concerned with a haematoma my left hip that has come like a balloon. They were considering an operation to drain it but have decided to have another look at it on Friday to see if it goes down on its own.

Regarding my beautiful bike I am amazed that the frame has come out of it virtually unmarked. there is a very small scratch on the opposite chainstay to the crash which I must have caught with my shoe.The handlebars are scrap also a pedal and the saddle and a quick release lever. Seems I cushioned the blow not the bike My helmet  is cracked right through in 3 places along the side and I know Colins helmet is cracked at the front. Who can argue against wearing helmets !

Thanks again I hope to be out with you all again soon

Pete

WOW!

Sean ..have we ever had 2 pages on one subject before?

We have had numerous topics run into more than one page but for a club run without the accompaniment of photos this is unprecedented (I think) Although there have been three distinct themes running through this topic 

1) the club run information 

2) genuine concern for Pete and Colin 

3) a sense of outrage at the state of the road in that location. 

Archived