Pedals

Mrs DAVIES

Decided on a pair of SIDI,s for Xmas.

Only come in road shoes or SPD.

Looks like I have to change my pedals.

I used to ride Look Carbon Keo and Carbon Fibre race shoes. Fast for racing didn't like them generally.

Foot injury, have to be able to weight bear, cushioned. Carbon fibre soles only good for racing, not walking, returned me to the ROH.

Which are the most user friendly pedals? Time i Click, Speedplay? Stay with SPD?

Already have Look carbon Keo, hate them but accept they are fast.

??Buy MTB Sidi?  

I use spd's but only because that's what I got used to from my touring days, also they are so much easier to walk in (and safer too in winter on the wet cafe floors)

Chris Kent had some flashy cool looking pedals but not sure what they were, perhaps he will see this and let you know

Have a serious look at these SPD pedals - HERE  They are only 15g heavier than Look Keo Max pedals, but they give you a slightly wider platform than the Keos, thus better to spread the load across the foot.  I have used Look pedals for years, and still do on my track bike, but I went over to SPDs and these pedals 18 months ago, highly recommend them.

Unless you are racing,  SPDs every time.

Why unless your racing?  I would agree that until the launch of the single sided A600 pedal, SPD pedals were quite heavy and all were double sided.  Not only that the contact point on the foot was very small which did tend to cause problems with pressure build up on the foot.

However, and as I mentioned in my previous post, the interface between the pedal and the shoe is greater than with the Look Keo/Delta pedal and only gives away a few grammes in weight.  Furthermore the pedals are weighted so will always drop into a position to make clipping in very easy, thus doing away with the cumbersome and heavy old style double sided SPD pedals.

They are also a lot cheaper than most of the other "clip in" type pedals.

• 2 months later...

Still researching this, thank you for all your help, but may I please ask for more.

I have Plantar fasciitis in both feet, L more. I have look carbon Keo pedals and Shimano Carbon fibre soled Triathlon shoes. I can race in them. However, longer use give me plantar fascia pain which takes the ROH 6 months to put right. If the bike breaks walking in them Cripples me.

I am asymptomatic with SPD. I am absolutely committed to SPD for longer term use.

My mountain bike shoes have been brilliant. However they have disintegrated and they are heavier than the bike.

I would like to get a lightweight shoe and pedal combination for a girl with a dodgy foot.

Today I received a beautiful set of Shimano WR83 SPD SL Road cycling shoes. Specificially designed by Shimano to relieve Plantar Fascia problems by using a fitted heel cup and raised toe.

I have to fit a Shimano SH-SM85 Cleat Adapter Plate. To use the usual spd. 112g per pair.

Has anyone had any experience of these? Aesthetics? Walking on them? Performance? Pictures?

Archived