Strange oxide coating

Mrs DAVIES

I would of course give way to the more bike savvy members like Alan Weaver, Chris Kent, Barry Lucas etc. but to my uneducated eye it almost looks like something has seeped out of the bottom bracket or crank. Perhaps water has got into the frame and made its way out bringing some of the oil/grease with it and coating the inside of the crank arms.

Those holotech bottom brackets are very easy to take off, clean, re-grease and put back together.

I do mine regularly in the winter months

Its very difficult to assess really by just looking at a photo, would really need to see it in the flesh.  

However, my initial thoughts are that they "could" just be tar spots usually associated with wet weather riding on newly surfaced roads.  Even a very short section of road will do it.  Maybe try wiping them with either WD40 or white spirit, if it is what I think it may be, then either products will remove it.

I would of course give way to the more bike savvy members like Alan Weaver, Chris Kent, Barry Lucas etc. but to my uneducated eye it almost looks like something has seeped out of the bottom bracket or crank. Perhaps water has got into the frame and made its way out bringing some of the oil/grease with it and coating the inside of the crank arms.

Those holotech bottom brackets are very easy to take off, clean, re-grease and put back together.

I do mine regularly in the winter months

Sure something's not leaking?

Or oozing?

As you say underneath your seat and behind your nose.

May be your "pushing' too hard? Not good for your system racing you know.

Is this in code or maybe even a riddle.........or am I missing something obvious?

But unless you have started drinking engine oil instead of a energy drink from your bottle, then its highly unlikely that it is leaking from anywhere IMHO.

I also get stains over my cranks like that, also on the top tube, seat pin, seat tube and anything else rear of my nose.

Normally when I'm racing.

Still trying to work out what it is.

Mike have a word with Pete Cooper,

he's just had the operation.

Ivor.

Your description is not dissimilar to stress incontinence (health care professionals humour).

Folks often get it after hard exercise as the blood supply is temporarily stolen from the bowel to supply the lungs (racing).

Behind your nose & below your seat!

• 1 month later...

Archived