The best waterproof winter glove option

Sean Barker

After riding an Audax yesterday on what was a cold and rain-soaked day, with hands that were cold and wet all day, I have decided it’s time to find something better than I currently use,

I have two pairs of winter gloves 1 pair of Gore gortex winter gloves and a pair of Sealskinz winter gloves. Both are warm even in sub-zero temperatures, but both fail miserably when it comes to waterproofness.

So any recommendation on keeping my hands both warm and dry in the worst of the winter weather? (And please don’t say stay indoors) 

I'll be interested in what people suggest, as to I am yet to find any glove that will keep water at bay for any length of time.  That said, the best gloves I have found to date are the Sealskinz Lobster gloves, and sometimes used in conjunction with silk liners.

I have also had a degree of success with neoprene gloves.  These are designed to get wet, but the water trapped in the air gap warms up from your body temperature.  BUT, after continued riding in very cold and wet condition's, sadly even these fall short of being ideal.  :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Right after some trial and error I think I have cracked it as far as keeping hands warm and dry on the coldest and wettest of days.

I was out in a blizzard yesterday between Leominster and Ludlow and my gps was telling me it was minus six but my hands were warm and dry.

Here's what I had on my hands

1 merino undergloves

2 A pair of Mountain Equipment giude gloves

3 a pair of Extremities tuff bags mit

Archived