Gearing for racing in an indoor velodrome

DaveC

Hi all,

Just a quick one to rattle your brains.

I have been selected by the university to represent them at BUCS for the track event on 19th-20th November. I would like to know what would be the best gearing for racing in an indoor velodrome as I will be racing at the national cycle centre.

Many Thanks

Dave Cunningham

Hi Dave

Without knowing how much track racing (or even riding) you've done, it's a difficult question to answer. However, assuming you're using sprint rims and tubs, and you're not yet up to Olympic standard, I would suggest something like 50x15 or 50x16 or 52x16 with 170mm cranks. One of those should give you a decent gear for a range of events, Take spare rings and sprockets so you can change during the day if necessary. Also what size cranks are you normally using? Don't forget even the straights are banked and with long cranks (>170mm) it's possible to catch the outside pedal on the boards!

Of course, If you've been riding at Halesowen then you'll know what sort of gearing suits you and can probably ride a bigger gear than you're used to, as the velodrome will be faster.

Best of luck

Tony

Archived