TLI/LVRC ROAD RACE REPORT

Been a long season, a lot of traveling to events but its been a very enjoyable journey.

Tim farmer has progressed so much with excellent rides resulting in several top 6 placings in some very hard races. This has been Tim's first season racing and he has learnt so much about riding in the peleton this year. Next year he will be stronger and more experienced, so watch this space.

John Poole followed up his 4th place in the TLI National Criterium Championships with a 4th place in the LVRC National Criterium Championships held at the Stourport circuit. As some of you may know, bravery at cornering in a big bunch on this tight circuit is not something I would relish so I decided to break away and hope I would be joined by the favourites for the title. I managed to gain a significant gap which I held for half the race before I was joined by a chasing group of 3 riders including Steve Jolly who has been unbeatable this season. We stayed together working well until Jolly attacked with 5 laps to go, I started to feel the effects of the lone effort I had put in, but managed to contribute to the chase down of Jolly. Jolly went on to win, the sprint for 2nd place saw me get edged out by my 2 breakaway colleagues so I got 4th place which was great but left me wishing I had a sprint like Cav!!!!!!!

I followed on with good results most from breakaways, in my category and overalls but my  first win in my category eluded me with 2nd and 3rds, then finally I rode the Horizon road race at  Aylesbury near  Milton Keynes. I rode this race last year it takes in a climb 12 times on a 4mile circuit. John French broke away just after the neutralised section as the flag dropped he shot up the road, Don Parry and 2 other riders went across, I was at that point lingering at the back of the bunch, as we approached the climb I jumped across to the break not usually a good move with my 13.5 stone not prone to beating gravity but I got across. The break worked well, and we all believed we would stay away but the unthinkable happened we were caught with 5 mile to go, after 38 mile in the break my heart sank as I spotted the 15 or so riders on our wheels, my god the sprinters had arrived !!!!!!

On the final climb Dave Mc Mullen attacked  and went clear, I attacked going clear with 3 mile to go but was not able to cross the gap to Mc Mullen who stayed clear to win. I finished 2nd in the race overall 1st in my category about 20 seconds in front of the bunch. John French was 3rd, Don Parry 4th.

I am now looking forward to next season, no crashes and no punctures (4 in races this season all in LRVC events) Would dearly love a National champs medal one can only hope !!!!      

Well done John,   You've had a great season and I'm sure that illusive win will come next year.  Congratulations to Tim as well,  what a great first season he has had as well. Look forward to seeing you both soon on some Sunday clubruns maybe now the season is drawing to a close.

Mick H.

Archived