Club Runs 26th June

Moira

Good morning where are the B group going in the morning unfortunately I know Mr Shelly fancies Bromyard is everyone else happy with that ? All those hills oh well at least I will enjoy the downhills .????

As misfortune would have it my dentist took ill last week so I've had to hang on for a week so my root canal is this Monday now.

If there is a C run with a shorter distance I'll opt for that, otherwise I'll make for Bromyard with you guys

homeremedyforatoothache2.jpg

Last time I went to Bromyard, it was on last year's Audax, we all got soaked. Sunday's forecast is for rain coming in from the west. Hopefully you will be on your way back before it arrives.

Any way, Brockhampton on the Bronyard Downs is where I had in mind. It's nice up there, low gears might be needed.

^ :blink: *gulp* - not ideal territory for the fixed but I guess as I rode the audax fixed I should be ok (ish!!! I was pushing a slightly smaller gear then but it helped on the climbs!)

I know there's a few ways out, any hints on the route there or is it better if I don't know?!? :wacko:

And I don't envy you and your root canal Sean! 

• Sean Barker changed the title to A Senior Run Sun. 26th
  • Sean Barker changed the title to Club Runs 26th June

Today's Forest group.

Chris P,   Mick H,    Owen H,  Speedy Kev,  Alec,  Kevin Y,   John C

Destination Bromyard  hope to meet the Bs.

Failed again.

Route Stourport, Great Whitley, Abberley, Tenbury Wells then round to Bromyard.

Upon reaching Great Whitley junction only Mick H managed to cross while the rest had to stop for traffic.

Mick knowing the climbing is about to start presses on thinking he can have an easy ride up the hill.

Unfortunately he turns up the Clifton, Stanford road but should have climbed the Abberley Tenbury road

he wasn't seen again until  we reached Bromyard where he was already settled in cafe not knowing that I intended 

to climb the Downs and hopefully meet the Bs.

2poy6ut.jpg

John having not been out for a few weeks takes on board much needed refreshments.

He couldn't resist this special chocolate drink to be followed by meat balls and pasta with parmesan  shavings on top.

He would like to have joined the Bs for a steady trip home.

rr8291.jpg

A much closer view of Chocolate delight.

yj4vq.jpg

Another good day in the saddle everyone did a bit on the front.

Pity the sun wasn't shining but not to cold, wind with us most of the way home except when I had the last 10 mile alone

plus dragging myself back over Dayhouse Bank yet again almost a 95 mile round trip.

A bit of a blonde moment for me forgetting it was 9.30 at TB was happily hanging washing out checking tyre pressures left home early I thought 9.20 plenty of time to get TB as I was riding through Catshill the penny dropped at 9.26 no way I was going to make it. Tried ringing Mr Shelly no reply even saw the A group on A38 going the opposite way for a nano second thought about joining them then reality took over being dropped on first major hill !!

Luckily John rang me and I met the Very small B group enroute. So just John S, Tim , Hannah ( on her fixed wheel ) and me. We did a lovely loop round Bromsgrove then out to Stourport over the bridge and the first major hill luckily there was a road race so we had to stop at the top to let them past. Then 2 big hills which weren't as bad as thought they were going to be and on the downs and to the National Trust cafe.

On leaving John told us with a wry smile on his face a lovely 3 mile down hill then a little hill on turning left at Knightwick I recognised The Talbot pub and the hill . Last time I went up it I was in the car and had thought that would be awful to go up on your bike. But we all made it and in a warpped way I was happy  to have made it one without stopping and two without moaning.  I don't think Hannah was as happy as she was making some very strange noises on the big hills but we'll done to her for doing it on a fixed wheel.

A very enjoyable ride and lovely company. Shame we missed the A's again maybe next week third time lucky.

We had a resident entertainer on the senior run viz.

One David Mitchell.

Get him to tell you how he became Mayor of Worcester....... Hillarious!!!!!!!

And we stopped to photograph the roses in the sunshine

A FULL DAY......zzzzzzz....

We had a resident entertainer on the senior run viz.

One David Mitchell.

Get him to tell you how he became Mayor of Worcester....... Hillarious!!!!!!!

And we stopped to photograph the roses in the sunshine

A FULL DAY......zzzzzzz....

Local Constabulary clocked us all speeding on their radar gun. Mrs Davies 27.5, Ivor 22 in a 20mph speed limit.  No fines yet!

Ivor explained he was "looking down at his thing"as he gestured down towards his ?? Bars?

We realised he meant his computer. But, Not before all the flash soft top drivers and cyclists at the lights were falling about laughing.

Much hilarity with Polly over cake.

That was one helluva club run yesterday! In the light of day the following morning, with legs that aren't screaming and following coious amount of food and snooze, it doesn't seem all that bad. But during the day... well, that's quite something else!

So, my 47/17 on 650c wheels gives me a 67 gear inch - perfect for flats and descending - not so useful on long/steep climbs!

Having battled Stanford Bank last year on my 46/17 setup (it might even have been a smaller gear than that, I can't remember!) with Chris Kent after our detour on the audax I was fairly confident I could manage that climb. Well, I almost made it - as John said I had to push at the steepest part. But as soon as it flattened out again I jumped back on and cracked on.

I arrived at the cafe somewhat dazed. Moira had to point out I was eating my toast with my helmet still on. I was in my own little world. 

Moira enquired as to our route home, and John did say it would be shorter but there was a hill to contend with following a roughly 3 mile descent straight out of the cafe. When Moira asked how it compared to the two big climbs we had done he said something along the lines of 'it's in a class of it's own.' I should have known that it was going to be a biggie!!

So, off we go, on this descent, John, Moira and Tim all freewheeling quicker than I dare let my little tired legs pedal. I keep them in sight for the most part as we travel down the A44 to Worcester. I spy a sign pointing towards Martley, and to my horror the group are on th corner of said sign, waving at me to turn left. I thought 'Martley's the last place I went to be going... Martley is hilly!!' I had no idea how right I was.

Two signs greeted us as we turned into the road. One said 'Use your crawl gear.' My immediate thought was 'I don't have a crawl gear.' The other said '17%'. 

I tried to climb, and quickly realised I had no strength left in my legs to push such a big gear up such a long steep climb. I got off ad watched as the others seemed to sail up the climb on what I can assume must be 36/28 or 39/28 gearing. I don't even want to look how small a gear inch that is!!! For the first time in my life I envied the road bike, and as I pushed my bike up the steeper first section I really started to question why I ride fixed constantly. The gradient soon meant I had lower back pain trying to push my bike up the climb, so I jumped on again at a flat bit to try and relieve the pain. Well, my back stopped hurting, but my legs soon started again. 

I jumped off again, and several riders passed me going downhill, clearly gleeful at the speed of which they descended. Salt and wounds. 

I got to the top out of breath with my back killing me. The group kindly waited for me to recover, and as I reached them Moira cried out 'You've been Ankerdined!!'. I've heard rumours of that hill, but that was my first experience of it. For the rest of the ride home I was very quiet, my pride damaged, my mind broken. The gang did their best to chat with me but I had very little to say. Sorry guys.

So, here I am, Monday morning, reading the reports and the much appreciated support for my stupidity/stubbornness. My legs have recovered well considering how stiff I was hours after arriving back home. And I'm thinking to myself, 'What gear would I have to have to climb that hill...?'

There must be something wrong with me!!! 

Archived