COTSWOLD CLASSIC SPORTIVE

28kspsg.jpg  166jc6x.jpg28/3/16

2rn8p5t.jpg              

ALEC                  O           KEV

O knocked on my door at 6am, got to admit, still a bit sleepy, bike and kit goes into the van, and off we go, destination Cirencester,  destination Cotswold Classic, destination 100 miles, 2859 meters ascent... 

We drove over Birdlip and the snow started falling, it wasn't looking too promising for ideal conditions, but hey, we're intrepid, were adventurous, we are gonna get cold and wet!! standard day out!!

2myya1v.jpg  

We got changed in the van into all of our cycling kit, and hid behind the van trying not to get blown away, this all seemed very familiar to, last time I did this event it snowed on the start line...

We signed on, got our timing chips, downed some hot drinks,    sw4m0j.jpg

the snow gave way to rain, with nothing/everything to lose, we set off...

There are a couple of nasties in the first 15 miles, but we are fresh, and we make light work of them, a portent maybe, what am I on about, I've ridden it before, I know what's coming, but I have blocked it from my memory, but that's a different story... 

the next 20 miles, are all flat, and with the wind, on wide open roads, not alot of traffic, this is Great!! were the best...

x10m1i.jpg        30ueipk.jpg    

1st feed station...  O refuels...  we all refuel...   why wouldn't you...   peanuts, never seen that before..   I did once see roast potatoes...

We are off again, it definitely starts to get windier and lumpier, but it's just not too bad, although we do split up on a climb, Kev goes into plugging away mode, sometimes you just gotta go at your own pace...

Mile 68 and I'm at 2nd feed, I meet a guy I know, we chat, I go for double flap jack, he goes for under ripe banana,  no one's eating the peanuts?? and then I ask the fatal question, 

"far to go?"

"32, all flat"  (insert chuckles all round)

If you're ever planning to ride the Cotswold Classic sportive, the 100 mile version, then rest assured, they cram all the most vile climbs in the cotswolds into the last 32 miles, the climbs and descents are mostly B roads, running with water, littered in loose stones and pock marked with potholes, you can't let rip on the descents, you would just crash, and climbing is just 'what is the lowest gear do I have...?'

Sounds like I didn't enjoy it, I did, but I think as I age I prefer the open road, where I can just ride, must be an age thing???

At the finish line I'm given an Easter egg and a medal (yes!!) and inside the HQ, pasta!!

35jifx5.jpg

Pasta dispatched, I wait for outside for O and Alec...

2h7gmft.jpg

100 miles, 2859 meters ascent, snow, rain, wind, potholes bigger than your head, O and Alec are victorious!!! yes!!!

2urmb8g.jpg              mvmdjm.jpg

Archived